DON’T GO IT ALONE – Harry (Rupert Evans) can’t expel his past so The Charmed Ones (Melonie Diaz, Madeleine Mantock, Sarah Jeffery) rush to his aid but ultimately he makes a deal with the devil. As the Charmed Ones continue their efforts to restore the Power of Three, they find themselves in the gravest circumstance yet. Also starring Poppy Drayton.
- Dream Walking: Used by Harry and his Darklighter through Darklighter Poison to get into each other's dreams.
- Foresight: Used by Maggie when she was dreaming to see Harry with his Darklighter.
- Healing: Used by Harry to heal Cassie's wound on her forehead.
- Magic Sense: Used by hunters and Harry Greenwood through a magic detector to track down Cassie's location.
- Orbing: Used by Harry to travel to Foster Island with Abigael. Later, he orbed again with Abigael and Cassie to hide from hunters.
- Pyrokinesis: Used by Abigael to incinerate the hunters.
- Telekinesis: Used by Abigael in an attempt to attack Cassie and protect herself from Darklighter poison, and by Macy when her power was restored to sling leaves outward.
- Telepathic Immobilization: Used by Cassie to freeze people and then unfreeze them.
- Black Amber: Used by Macy to restore her power.
- Book of Elders: Used by the Charmed Ones.
- Darklighter Poison: Used by the hunters in an attempt to capture Abigael and Cassie. It was also used by both Harry and his Darklighter in order to communicate in dreams. The Charmed Ones also found leaves from a black amber tree hidden beneath the Command Center that produced this substance.
- Magic Detector: Used by hunters to track down magical beings and capture them.
- In this episode, Macy, Mel and Maggie find out that they haven't been the only Charmed Ones throughout history.
- Godric returns in this episode. He was last seen in The Rules of Engagement.
- Harry Greenwood's Darklighter returns in this episode. He was last seen in When Sparks Fly.
- Julian Shea is mentioned in this episode. He was last seen in Dance Like No One is Witching.
- Parker Caine is mentioned in this episode. He was last seen in Needs to Know.
- Maggie finds out that Parker is alive in this episode.
- Ray Vera is mentioned in this episode. He was last seen in Curse Words.
- Marisol Vera is mentioned. She was last seen in The Source Awakens.
- Brian is mentioned. He was last seen in Let This Mother Out.
- Kandyse McClure (who portrays the Guardian) acted alongside Brian Krause in the film "Return to Cabin by the Lake" who portrayed the Halliwell's Whitelighter Leo in the original series.
Answered Questions from Previous Episode(s)
- Will Macy tell Maggie that Parker is alive?
- While trapped in the Command Center and told the only way to escape was to "speak the unspoken", Macy told Maggie that Parker is alive, explaining she didn't at first because she didn't want to hurt Maggie and let her be happy.
- Who are Godric and Abigael looking for?
- How will Harry release his Darklighter from his Master?
- Will the sisters be able to break the cycle of the Charmed Ones?
References to the Original Charmed
- The guardian says the phrase "The Power of Three will set you free". This was a famous phrase used in a spell in the original show.
- The sisters find out that they haven't been the only Charmed Ones throughout history, there had always been three sisters who became Charmed Ones. Furthermore, the previous Charmed Ones always ended in destruction (the death of one sister) due to the Power of Three being too great. In the original, the Charmed Ones have only been four, prophesized by the first witch in their family line and their powers came from her. When the eldest sister died, the remaining ones found out they had a long-lost half-sister who recreated the Power of Three.
- The revelation that the sisters are not the first Charmed Ones, is a somewhat meta-reference, due to the fact that the series features the second incarnation of the Charmed Ones, with the first, originating in the original series.
- Mel meets a British man named Gideon. Gideon was an Elder with a British accent in the original.
- According to the previous Charmed One, the sisters would need to form a bond that holds no secrets, resentment or words unspoken in order to break the cycle. This is similar to when Andras turned the sisters against each other by magnifying their pre-existing anger and withdrawals until they used their powers against each other, effectively breaking the Power of Three.
- Maggie calls her power "premonition". This was the default name of Phoebe's power.
- Harry and Abigael meet a young witch named Cassie with the power of Telepathic Immobilization, and is capable of freezing an entire mortal town. This is very similar to Piper’s first power in the original series. Cassie’s power being triggered by fear also mimics Piper’s power activating through her fear before she learnt to control it.
- As of this episode, the Vera-Vaughn's powers match those of the Halliwells'. With the eldest, middle and youngest sisters having telekinesis, molecular manipulation, and foresight, respectively.
- The episode was watched by 0.60 million U.S. viewers.
- The title of this episode is a reference to "Break the Cycle", the third studio album by American rock band Staind.
Macy: Just as before. We're not the first Charmed Ones.
Macy: I'm used to being alone, going it alone. And I'm trying with the sisterly stuff. But honestly, sometimes I feel like the third wheel.
Macy: Maggie, you don't have to feel guilty about Parker being dead. He's alive.
Abigael: Sometimes survival instincts kick in. Show us what we're really capable of. For better or for worse.
Abigael: Well, we didn't catch the Darklighter. In fact, he was a no-show, so you're off the hook. No night of hot, unmitigated passion. You can go home and do the crossword puzzle.
Harry: Abigael, I really do appreciate your willingness to...
Abigael: To do your dirty work?.. Oh, enough, Harry! We're trapped in this vicious little cycle, aren't we? Where you come to me whenever your dark work needs doing, and then you push me away once it's done as if you had no hand in it. I've never asked you to be more than you are, so don't ask me to be less.
Harry: I'm sorry, but darkness isn't in my nature.
Abigael: Maybe not. But if you want to be the last, Harry, standing, you'd better find a way to let some darkness in. Fast.
|Season 2 Episodes|
|"Safe Space" ▪ "Things to Do in Seattle When You're Dead" ▪ "Careful What You Witch For" ▪ "Deconstructing Harry" ▪ "The Truth about Kat and Dogs" ▪ "When Sparks Fly" ▪ "Past is Present" ▪ "The Rules of Engagement" ▪ "Guess Who's Coming to SafeSpace Seattle" ▪ "Curse Words" ▪ "Dance Like No One is Witching" ▪ "Needs to Know" ▪ "Breaking the Cycle" ▪ "Sudden Death" ▪ "Third Time's the Charm" ▪ "The Enemy of My Frenemy" ▪ "Search Party" ▪ "Don't Look Back in Anger" ▪ "Unsafe Space"|