|“||Why can't I tell what you're feeling? I want to. I mean that's my power, reading minds and I can sense feelings when I do it.||”|
Empathic Telepathy (or Telepathic Empathy) is the power to hear the thoughts as well as the emotions of others. This power is an expansion of empathy that acts as a mixture of both empathy and telepathy.
This power has different aspects of application.
Empathic Telepathy has been first displayed by Maggie Vera, however, she needs to make tactical contact to be able to do so. Clothing does not act as a barrier to this version of the ability, meaning Maggie does not need skin-to-skin contact to make an empathic connection, only the close proximity of touch.
Some beings, such as the imposter demon that impersonated Marisol Vera, are immune to this power. This power would also be ineffective when the feelings of the user are blocked, for example through the use of protection spell against hurt.
It has been suggested that listening to one's 'inner voice' is the key to being able to control this ability. Without control, the possessor of this ability will continually hear the thoughts of anyone they come into physical contact with.
Users of this power are also able to project their thoughts into the minds of another being and conduct telepathic conversations.
Empaths are also able to potentially have their powers grow to allow them to hear the thoughts and emotions of recently deceased, and commune with spirits.
Some users can not only read thoughts, but also see the mental images, memories and bondings of others.
Expansions of Empathic Telepathy
An expansion of the telepathic branch of this power, it allows users to subtly influence the minds of other beings with their thoughts. While not exactly the same as mesmerizing others, an empath can use their power to get through to people; for example, this was seen when Maggie projected her thoughts into Macy's mind to convince Macy to not kill Cyd, and Maggie's influence helped Parker and Harry to resist the effects of Chloe's pixie dust. Maggie was also able to stop Harry from choking her when he was kept in a control shackle by Fiona Callahan.
- Original Power
- Through spell, artifact, power stealing, etc.
- Macy Vaughn (merged with the Source; relinquished)
- Parker Caine (as the Demon Overlord; temporarily)
- In the original series, telepathy and empathy were completely separate powers, however, in the reboot, witches with the power of empathy can develop a form of telepathy from their original power.
- In the episode, Bug a Boo, Maggie was able to read the thoughts of a colony of Cicada demons even though time was frozen, suggesting a mistake in the writing or that Mel's power to freeze time isn't all encompassing.