Ray and Marisol were both professors at the local university in Hilltowne when they met. Seeing how kin they were in personality, they fell in love and eventually married and had a daughter named Mel. Dedicated to his work in archeology, Ray was often traveling around the world digging up lost artifacts and exhuming old civilizations while Marisol stayed home with Mel. This made her lonely and ultimately fell back into the arms of her ex-lover, Dexter.
Ray found out about the affair and the child they had. Wanting to fix their marriage, Ray became Maggie's legal father. However, the betrayal and resentment stayed with him, and he started down a depressed period. Ultimately his marriage to Marisol ended and he left the day after Maggie's fifth birthday. Since then he resided in Minneapolis and barely kept in touch with his daughters, and often cancelled any plans to see them despite having promised them. One such occasion being Maggie's seventh birthday when he was to take her to a ballet dance, and didn't show up. Maggie was crushed, and Marisol and Mel consoled her by making up an excuse about Ray having to leave for work and giving her a music box as an apology.
When Marisol passed away in mid-2018, Ray went to the funeral and, needing money for himself, stole a talisman that he later sold to the black market.
Throughout the Series
In "Jingle Hell", Ray was supposed to spend Christmas with Maggie since Marisol died, but later told her he couldn't make it. This crushes Maggie.
In "Things to Do in Seattle When You're Dead", Maggie found Ray's obituary online. According to it, he died of a heart attack around the same time she and her sisters disappeared from Hilltowne, possibly believing that Mel and Maggie died in a house fire. He couldn't accept the fact that his daughters had seemingly died, and the stress of it caused his heart attack. Maggie secretly attended his funeral.
In "Guess Who's Coming to SafeSpace Seattle", Maggie, Mel and Harry find him alive and well, having faked his death to avoid trouble due to the fact that he was a thief. It turns out he had stolen an artifact that was capable of uncloaking the Vera Manor, which was cloaked for protection from Jimmy. It had actually belonged to the Fury, a monster whose sole purpose was to regain that artifact. It broke into the house and attacked Maggie, but Ray risked his life and gave the monster the artifact, saving Maggie's life. He is later seen having coquito with Mel and Maggie, having seemingly reconciled with the two.
In "Curse Words", Ray attends Jordan Chase's birthday party. Mel quickly tells him to leave as this could blow his cover, and he is later seen at the Command Center. He must meet with a pair of black market dealers in Nevada to give them an artifact he stole from India. Before he and Mel left, Ray stole a small bottle of black amber. Unbeknownst to him, Mel placed a tracker on the artifact, and he ended up being held at gunpoint by the dealers. However, Mel quickly saved his life by using her powers to heat up the gun the female dealer was holding, causing her to drop it. Unfortunately, the dealers managed to escape with Ray preventing Mel from using her powers further out of fear of exposure. Ray later had to leave to avoid putting the sisters at more risk and shared an emotional goodbye with Mel.
In "Don't Look Back in Anger", it is revealed that Ray had been tracking the Faction's movements. Maggie also learns that he kept in touch with Mel, but not with her. The hurt and shock causes Maggie panic attacks. Needing to know what the Faction was up to, Mel brings Ray back to Seattle. Mel and Ray then go to Iguasu to follow a lead from Harry about a forty-stone parasite, only to turn out to be a false lead. Maggie looked up more information and tells them what he heard was Fort Easton Power Site; an abandoned military base where the Shea Group operates. The three then travel to Oregon. Ray and Mel mention playing online games during their chats, leading Maggie to have another panic attack. Ray then tells Maggie that she had suffered from episodes of panic attacks when he and Marisol first divorced, and they sent her to see a shrink without telling her. Feeling fed out with being kept out of the loop, Maggie openly expresses her anger and hurt, accidentally releasing a new power on two security guards on duty. They use the opoportunity to infiltrate the power site where they pretend to be potential sponsors. They are then led to an underground tunnel where they see tens of dead bodies trapped in experimental tanks. Julian Shea then walks into the tunnel and recognizes Maggie. Having no more options, Mel, Maggie, and Ray escape through a portal back to the Command Center.
Later that night, Ray talks to Maggie in private. He tells her that he had never minded that she wasn't his biological daughter.
- Ray and Mel: His only true born daughter; however, their relationship hadn't been in a good place since he walked out on her and her family. She remembered the turmoil of her parents' relationship. After walking back into their lives, Ray and Mel found common ground and reconciled before he left again. They remained in contact and started playing online games to mend their relationship.
- Ray and Maggie: The day after Maggie's 5th birthday, he walked out on Marisol and the kids. He barely kept in touch with Maggie and always found excuses not to visit. He knew Maggie wasn't his biological daughter, but he came to love her. He would watch the stars with her when she was little. Since he walked out, Maggie had longed for his return and was always disappointed whenever he was absent during holidays and cancelled dinners. As of now, their relationship is on the mend.
- Ray and Marisol: It was known he got together with Marisol Vera after she was forced to leave her ex and daughter. Together, they conceived Mel. It was implied seven years later he was duped that he also fathered Maggie. However, he left the day after she turned five, making his relationship with Marisol before her death unreconciled. Ray later explained to Mel that he left Marisol because he knew her heart belonged to another man, and that he knew that Maggie was not his biological daughter.
|Season One Appearances (0/22)|
|1. "Pilot"||2. "Let This Mother Out "|
|3. "Sweet Tooth"||4. "Exorcise Your Demons"|
|5. "Other Women"||6. "Kappa Spirit"|
|7. "Out of Scythe"||8. "Bug a Boo"|
|9. "Jingle Hell"||10. "Keep Calm and Harry On"|
|11. "Witch Perfect"||12. "You're Dead to Me"|
|13. "Manic Pixie Nightmare"||14. "Touched by a Demon"|
|15. "Switches & Stones"||16. "Memento Mori"|
|17. "Surrender"||18. "The Replacement"|
|19. "Source Material"||20. "Ambush"|
|21. "Red Rain"||22. "The Source Awakens"|
|Season Two Appearances (3/19)|
|1. "Safe Space"||2. "Things to Do in Seattle When You're Dead"|
|3. "Careful What You Witch For"||4. "Deconstructing Harry"|
|5. "The Truth about Kat and Dogs"||6. "When Sparks Fly"|
|7. "Past is Present"||8. "The Rules of Engagement"|
|9. "Guess Who's Coming to SafeSpace Seattle"||10. "Curse Words"|
|11. "Dance Like No One is Witching"||12. "Needs to Know"|
|13. "Breaking the Cycle"||14. "Sudden Death"|
|15. "Third Time's the Charm"||16. "The Enemy of My Frenemy"|
|17. "Search Party"||18. "Don't Look Back in Anger"|
|19. "Unsafe Space"|
|Season Three Appearances (0/18)|
|1. "An Inconvenient Truth"||2. "Someone's Going to Die"|
|3. "Triage"||4. "You Can't Touch This"|
|5. "Yew Do You"||6. "Private Enemy No. 1"|
|7. "Witch Way Out"||8. "O, The Tangled Web"|
|9. "No Hablo Brujeria"||10. "Bruja-Ha"|
|11. "Witchful Thinking"||12. "Spectral Healing"|
|13. "Chaos Theory"||14. "Perfecti Is the Enemy of Good"|
|15. "Schrodinger's Future"||16. "What to Expect When You're Expecting the Apocalypse"|
|17. The Storm Before the Calm||18. TBA|
- He was the second father mentioned in the series.
- Mel doesn't like him because he always finds excuses to not see Maggie.
- When Macy altered reality to make it so that Mel was the one who could not meet Marisol, Ray moved away with Mel for her protection.
- He used to sing to Maggie as a child and called her Little Bug.
- He also taught Mel to play poker and called her Dorito.
- He promised to take Maggie to a ballet for her seventh birthday, but never showed up. Marisol made up an excuse that he was called away on business, while Mel brought Maggie a ballerina box with a fake apology note from Ray.
- Ray's full name was revealed to be Santiago Raymond Vera in "Things to Do in Seattle When You're Dead". Ray is a short form (hypocorism) of Raymond.