|“||We're a rogue group of witches who don't follow the Elder's arbitrary rules or general b.s.||”|
The Sisters of Arcana (better known as the Sarcana) were a group of rebel witches that did not follow the rules of the Elders and used unsanctioned magic to protect both the mortal world and the world of the supernatural.
The Sisters of Arcana were founded by an Elder who chafed against the rules of witchcraft and took matters into her own hands.
The Sisters of Arcana mounted an insurrection decades ago which resulted in many deaths and were believed to have been defeated.
The group rebuilt over the years, recruiting witches who wished to oppose the Elders while targeting criminals to protect mankind. Marisol Vera was known to be an ally of the Sarcana, a fact that made her friend and fellow Elder, Charity Callahan, concerned.
Eventually, the Sarcana retrieved a powerful witch named Fiona Callahan from Tartarus, in hopes of rebuilding their forces and take control of magic, but she turned against them when she saw them as using her for their own agenda, and killed off most of the coven, with Jada Shields being the only survivor.
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The ability to cast spells and perform rituals.
- Initiation Ritual: A ritual used to initiate witches into the Sisters of Arcana. Gives the witch a tattoo which is the symbol of the coven and gives them control over their crows.
- Potion Making: The ability to brew and concoct potions, remedies and elixirs that have supernatural properties.
- Individual Powers: Since they are witches, the Sisters of Arcana possess a variety of powers that are unique to each individual.
- Zoopathy: Through their tattoo symbol, which they got from the initiation ritual, the Sisters are able to summon and control a flock of crows to do their bidding and protect them.
- Immunity: Being witches, the Sisters are inherently immune to certain magical abilities (e.g. the Sirens' songs and to Pixie Dust).
- Unnamed former Elder † (founder)
- Jada Shields (formerly)
- Fiona Callahan † (formerly)
- Marisol Vera † (ally)
- Aliya †
- Unnamed witches †
- Unnamed Empath †
- Mel Vera (formerly)
- Arcana could be a reference to the practice of reading tarot cards. The tarot cards are split into two categories: major arcana and minor arcana. The cards without suits make up the major arcana, while those that are labeled as belonging to swords, wands, cups, or pentacles comprise the minor arcana. A standard deck has 78 cards: 22 in the major arcana and 56 in the minor.
- All the members of the Sisters of Arcana had a tattoo on their different bodies parts, with Mel's on her wrist, Jada, whose tattoo was in the top of her right hand, and Aliya's on her chest.
- The tattoo would magically disappear if someone was no longer part of the coven.
- According to Harry, the Sisters of Arcana were adept at mind games.
- All of the Sisters of Arcana seemed to prefer to wear black clothing.
- According to Jada, crows did their bidding.
- Mel and Jada are the only former members of the Sarcana to be alive.