- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Plot
- 3 Cast
- 4 Magical Notes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Answered Questions from Previous Episode(s)
- 7 Unanswered Questions
- 8 References to the Original Charmed
- 9 Production Notes
- 10 Quotes
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Videos
- 13 References
- 14 See Also
WHAT WE DESIRE — Mel (Melonie Diaz) and Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) attempt to find a missing Macy (Madeleine Mantock) with a spell while Harry (Rupert Evans) uses a different method — allowing Abigael (Poppy Drayton) to help him access his subconscious in an attempt to connect with his dark side.
Abigael used powers from her demonic side to help Harry access his subconscious. He was able to see his memories from when he was alive and human. Harry started with memories of his childhood, his grandmother, his father, and his first kiss. He learned that James, who he was before he became a Whitelighter, had another family. After opening a locked door, Harry found a paint of Castle Breithe, an enchanted fortress in Scotland.
Harry and Abigael used the command center to go to Castle Breithe in Scotland. He realized he’d been there before, when he’d just become a Whitelighter. Fierce and deadly Caliban's guarded Castle Breithe, but they had been killed. They found an altar where Harry had a vision. He saw the smoke of the darklighter escape his body into a bottle locked with a key. In the present, all the bottles on the shelves were broken with the darklighters inside turned to ash. Only the bottle of James Westwell was intact with no ash. Someone had let the darklighter out. Harry went back into his subconscious and saw his darklighter’s memory of Macy.
After a lead to finding Macy and the darklighter didn’t pan out, Mel and Maggie decided to use Absum Veri. It was a very powerful, banned tracking spell. They needed to recite an incantation over items representing things she dreads, denies herself, and desires. A demon hound arrived after they tried casting it. They went throughout the house, distracting the demon hound so they could try again. Unfortunately, the dog grew larger and more violent. Mel and Maggie decided to look for Macy’s journal. It would help them get into her head to get the spell right.
As the dog lunged down on them outside of Macy’s room, Mell and Maggie searched for the journal. Mel received a text from Kat, a message from Marisol on the location of the journal. She’d drawn Harry, so they used it in the spell. They received coordinates from a now docile dog. Using the command center map, Mel and Maggie searched the coordinates but saw no red lights. Macy wasn’t in danger because Harry’s darklighter had feelings for her, just like he did.
When Mel and Maggie walked by Kat’s shop, she stopped them. Kat told Mel that she’d been having visions of worms ever since they meditated. Maggie believed that Mel wasn’t being truthful about staying away from romance, as they all promised they would.
Kat was receiving instructions from someone not visible. She texted Mel on their orders.
- Absum Veri Spell
- Used by Mel and Maggie to track Macy. The first two attempts failed, conjuring a hound that grew more feral with each failed attempt.
- Door Sealing Spell
- Used by Mel and Maggie to keep the ferocious hound from coming through Macy's bedroom door.
- Claw Extension: Used by a Malignant demon to attack Mel and Maggie.
- Mind Melding: Used by Abigael to help Harry dive into his subconscious.
- Pyrokinesis: Used by Abigael to destroy an enemy.
- Mediumship: Used by Katrina to hear Marisol Vera.
- Book of Elders: The Book of Elders is a magical totem created by the Elders. It contains complex spells and information about magic and magical beings such as Whitelighters and Darklighters.
- Book of Elders Cypher: The cypher is a magical object manufactured by the Elders and entrusted to the Sentinel for safekeeping. It allows witches to easily read the Book of Elders. Without it, the book is unreadable given it is written in the language of the Elders.
- This is the first episode in the series in which one of the Charmed Ones does not appear.
- Macy Vaughn doesn't appear in this episode, but a manifestation of Macy does appear in Harry's mind.
- Jordan Donica does not appear in this episode, but he is credited in the opening.
- Alastor was mentioned. He was last seen in Red Rain.
- Parker Caine and Marisol Vera were mentioned. They were last seen in The Source Awakens.
- Helen McGantry and her Darklighter were mentioned. They were both last seen in Deconstructing Harry.
- It was revealed in this episode that Katrina has presumably began seeing the spirit of Marisol Vera.
- Macy's almond milk rant from Ambush is referenced in this episode, while Maggie and Mel are attempting to cast the Absum Veri Spell.
- Abigael's demon mind meld is likely a reference to the Vulcan mind meld from Star Trek. This is performed by putting one or both hands on specific points on the recipient's face.
Answered Questions from Previous Episode(s)
- Where has Darklighter Harry taken Macy and what does he have planned for her?
- He, like his Whitelighter self, has romantic feelings towards her. They are currently in Tribecca, New York.
- Will they be able to save Macy?
- Where did Abigael go?
- Who is the Darklighter's master?
References to the Original Charmed
- Harry and Macy's burgeoning romantic feelings for each other reminisces with the original's Piper and Leo: the witch and Whitelighter who fell in love and birthed three children.
- Harry and his Darklighter's shared feelings towards Macy is similar to Mr. Right—a figure created by a spell from Paige, which accidentally created a dark version in the process as well.
- Abigael mocking Maggie with P names may be a reference to the Halliwell tradition of giving children P names.
- The tracking spell Mel and Maggie casted, to find Macy, that summoned a demon dog is similar to the original series when the Charmed casted a tracking spell, which turned Prue into a dog to find a Banshee.
- The episode was watched by 0.58 million U.S. viewers.
- Abigael: "Harry, this door, it's locked for a reason. The thing the Elders feared most, your connection to your other half, it must be on the other side. It's a mental firewall. You won't get through it with brute force. It's not about fighting, it's about surrendering."
- Harry: "To what?"
- Abigael: "To the scariest thing of all. The truth."
- Mel: "Why is Macy drawing Harry?"
- Maggie: "And keeping it in here?"
- Mel: "Secret desires."
- Maggie: "What if... What if he's all of them? Dreads, denies, desires Not three things but one."
- Mel: "Harry?"
- Mel: "But there are no red lights anywhere near there."
- Maggie: "Doesn't make any sense. If she's in danger, why isn't it showing up?"
- Harry: "Because she's not. In danger. At least not yet."
- Maggie: "How do you know that?"
- Harry: "Because He has feelings for her."
- Mel: "How do you know that?"
- Harry: "Because so do I. For better or worse he and I are the same person."
|Season 2 Episodes|
|"Safe Space" ▪ "Things to Do in Seattle When You're Dead" ▪ "Careful What You Witch For" ▪ "Deconstructing Harry" ▪ "The Truth about Kat and Dogs" ▪ "When Sparks Fly" ▪ "Past is Present" ▪ "The Rules of Engagement" ▪ "Guess Who's Coming to SafeSpace Seattle" ▪ "Curse Words" ▪ "Dance Like No One is Witching" ▪ "Needs to Know" ▪ "Breaking the Cycle" ▪ "Sudden Death" ▪ "Third Time's the Charm" ▪ "The Enemy of My Frenemy" ▪ "Search Party" ▪ "Don't Look Back in Anger" ▪ "Unsafe Space"|